Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sweet Little Spirits

Today I am grateful for a healthy, beautiful family. I am not so grateful, however, for an apartment that consistently creeps to 80 degrees everyday. I'm sweating like a pig! (do pigs really sweat??)

First, to be grateful.
Preface: We have lived in the same ward, a married student ward, for almost 5 years now. It is uncommon for a family to stay as long as we have, and I'm almost certain that by the time we 'graduate' to the regular family ward, we will have made a new record in our current ward for the family with the longest stay. In fact, each semester, half our ward is new, due to the incredulous turnover by reason of it's natural makeup. Anyway, it doesn't seem like we would see much "life action" in a ward such as this, but we've seen our share. By life action, I mean all the issues and problems life might bring us as we become more "seasoned" in life - serious illness, worries with children, divorce, death, etc. In this ward, it seems like we have seen it all.

I am simply shocked at the challenges that have been faced by those so young. Here are some examples;
*Serious illness, including diabetes and related complications, heart problems, seizures, autoimmune diseases, mental illness, and cancer.
*Baby-related issues - tons of infertility, miscarriages, birth defects, stillborns, loss of a child.
*Financial woes - serious debt, unemployment, layoffs, home foreclosures.
*Family and other - loss of parent, loss of spouse, physical abuse, divorce.

All of these things have happened to people we know, of college age, and within the last 5 years! It seems tragic and so unfair. Fortunately, we have gained strength as a ward, and as individuals. We have had the opportunity to serve, support and uplift. We have been turned to the Lord, given thanks, and had cause for introspection.

Most recently, a couple in our ward gave birth to their first child. After much effort in getting pregnant, they were ecstatic to be having a baby. At 36 weeks, they found out that the baby had a brain tumor and "water-on-the-brain" due to the blockage. The baby was born, but unfortunately, lived less than 48 hours. You can imagine the devastation. On their blog the mother recalled the simple joys she had with her newborn son during his short life - hearing his first cry, holding him, touching his perfect little features, changing his diaper, having him receive a name and blessing. The little things, that I often take for granted. I cannot imagine this ordeal and my heart and tears pour out to them.

For this and much more, I am grateful for healthy babies, for late Saturday nights with a new baby and a teething two year old, 8:30am church the next morning, dirty diapers every two hours, potty train messes, endless baby laundry, screaming in the house, fingerprints on the tv, an always dirty house, kissing every boo-boo, tripping over toys, sand from the sandbox in the house, phones in the toilet, and the list goes on. For all the little, and big annoyances and inconveniences of having children, I am grateful to have opportunity to have such wonderful little spirits in my care. They are definitely more of a blessing than we will probably ever really know.

I love my little family and thank the Lord for them daily, and even more so when I am reminded that I need to be more than just grateful. I am blessed and in debted to God for all his tender mercies.

1 comment:

Becky R. said...

This was a wonderful post. Thank you for helping me to remember to be grateful as well.